All the Muck That's Fit to Rake

All the Muck is a blog that will look at a host of issues: politics; rhetoric; environmental problems; education; social justice; urban planning (or lack thereof); music; sports; and the beauty of living one's life via simplicity and taking it easy.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Ode to Roy

It's been over a week now since I (and probably some of the readers of this limpid little blog) attended the funeral of a friend and brother.

Roy was a guy who, even after being dealt a crappy set of cards at birth health-wise, is someone who never really gave into nihilism and whining when he certainly had good reasons to do so.

When I think back about Roy, sarcastic but good-natured laughter is what I remember most. Whether is was making fun of guys' dance moves while they tried to hit on sorority girls or extolling the virtues of Schlitz or Cisco in detail, Roy had a good time.

"Schlitz away" is also a phrase I will forever have tattooed on my brain.

As evidenced by his funeral, an event that played Prince's "Purple Rain" and Marley's "No Woman, No Cry," he also had a keen interest in different genres of music. What I always enjoyed though was his knowledge of arcane musical factoids or his random ruminations about 80s one-hit wonder bands, the size of Debbie Harry's breasts, or new alternative bands on the scene while we were in college in the early to mid-90s. Anyone who knew Roy can tell you that those three examples just skim the surface.

Although I don't remember whether Roy listened to this band or not, I think a song by Camper Van Beethoven sums up his character and his outlook on life, both of which we all should learn from:
"And life is grand.
And I will say this
at the risk of falling from favor
with those of you
who have appointed yourself
to expect us to say something darker.

And love is real.
And though I realize
this is not a deep observation
to those of you who find it necessary
to conceal love or obscure it, as is the fashion."

Peace be with you, my fellow Schlitzophrenic, my brother.

QBN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home